Thursday 29 March 2012

Woe unto Hypocrites

The other day I was sitting in my car when I saw a woman very unsteady on her feet. She looked to be in her late thirties or early forties, but was walking like an old woman with a stick.

My heart went out to her in compassion, but I was aware that I didn't have much time due to running errands the day before a friend's wedding. My heart was stirred up though, and I called out the window to ask her if she was a Christian. She said "No! And I don't want to be!" - I of course couldn't leave her to say that, so I jumped out and asked her why she didn't want to be a Christian. She told me that she used to go to church with her mother, but that churches are full of hypocrites that smile in your face in church but ignore you on the street - the bitterness within her was so tangible as she spoke.

I told her that not all churches were full of hypocrites and that there was a lovely church (our church) around the corner that would genuinely welcome her. I told her that people may let her down, but Jesus never will because He's perfect. I said if she came that she'd have a friend and told her my name. Her frown turned to a smile and she thanked me and went on her way. I went back to my car and immediately cried out to God for her soul. I could see by faith that if she came out she would be completely healed of that crippling arthritis.

Glory to our sweet Saviour for that Holy Ghost appointment, but I have thought since that there is great condemnation for hypocrites who drive wounded and lost souls away from the love of God and the salvation in Christ they so desperately need.

No comments:

Post a Comment