Friday 9 March 2012

Being Scripturally Frank

I was passing through the Camden Road area yesterday and thought I might pay a visit to Amy Winehouse's former home out of interest.

It was fairly easy to spot in Camden Square, as the house with a large black privacy fence. Just across the road from it was a tree that had become a makeshift memorial to the late singer. Having identified it, I determined to come back and have a look at what had been left in tribute. The idea then struck me to post a scripture there. It saddened me when she passed away, at the same age as myself at the time, just 27 years old. I thought that the words of Jesus from Matthew 11:28 - "Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest" - would be particularly poignant, knowing that if I prayed over this gesture that someone reading it could find hope to escape the burdens that plagued Amy.

I was saddened to find out later that day that she had been trying to get off the drugs and alcohol, going cold turkey with her alcoholism. I had been told by a former alcoholic a few weeks ago that you simply cannot do that with alcohol. Reading a newspaper report on-line, I read her father relaying the fact that she ignored the doctor's orders to wean herself slowly off and had gone all out, leading to her death. There was something, or rather someone, missing in that equation: her burden had no where to go. If you are heavy laden then you need to come to Jesus, as the Pilgrim did, and find your rest from sin as He takes your burdens away and gives you His rest of forgiveness.

No comments:

Post a Comment