Friday 1 June 2012

The Best Prayers to Pray

Recently I found my personal evangelism waning. Although our church has its regular local outreaches and national teams travelling to our various fellowship churches around the country, if we cannot or do not share our faith outside of set church programs then it is not as living and active as we think.

We pray for many things, and most of those for ourselves, but the best prayers to pray are those that will be a blessing to others. Although I would never deny His heart to bless and help us personally, I have found God to much more readily answer selfless prayers than selfish ones. My case in point happened just this morning.

I had been contending for a renewed passion for souls and a leading of the Spirit in personal evangelism for many weeks in prayer. This morning I sat down on the tube train and a man and woman got on who began to talk loudly to each other. The lady sat next to me and the man across from her so I could hear every word of their conversation. They began to talk about the ubiquitous antisocial networking site Facebook, and in doing so the man mentioned a friend that had died suddenly while travelling. He was just 28 and had been out partying, only to not wake up in the morning. The man had then found out about his death by checking the comments on Facebook.

I knew that this was a Holy Ghost opportunity to bring up eternity, but didn't want to suddenly interject in their conversation. I took a church flyer out of my bag thinking that I could just hand it to him as I got off the train, but only to find that he was getting off at the same stop. I let him run on ahead until I could find an open spot to hand it to him, praying inside that he would get the same connection as me. Sure enough, we were running for the same train, which had just pulled onto the platform. At the very same moment we reached the platform through the crowd, and in the same spot, as the doors closed and the train pulled off.

Knowing this was God I said "I hate it when that happens". And that was how I started my conversation with Rob. I said I was sorry to hear that his friend died and asked if he thought there was anything beyond death. He asked what I believed and then started a fantastic 15 minute conversation on eternity, corruption, salvation and my testimony.

He asked me questions about death in the world, reincarnation and Spiritualism and I was able to give him answers which he readily listened to. We again got off at the same stop, finding out that we worked in the same town. As he shook my hand and said it was nice to meet me I handed him the flyer that now meant a lot more to him than before we had that blessed conversation. I immediately thanked God for answering my prayers for a renewed leading of the Spirit in personal evangelism and prayed those seeds would bare fruit.

Take a moment to pray that you may be a blessing to others in fellowship, ministry and giving - and especially to the lost in evangelism.

No comments:

Post a Comment