Tuesday 12 June 2012

What Are the Chances?

I remember an incident that happened a couple of years ago that really illustrated God's special providence - His ability and desire to move in people's lives to point them towards truth. This is not a Calvinistic over-powering of human agency, but an example of the love and desire for redemption that took Christ to the cross.

I was with my wife and sister-in-law, travelling by underground train through central London. There was a lady on her own with a large suitcase, so I offered to help her take it down the stairs. As I handed it back to her I reached in my coat pocket for a church flyer and invited her along. She politely said that she was from America and so wouldn't be able to attend, but on seeing the name of our church said "The Potter's House? I'm from a small town in the middle of Arizona, but we do have a Potter's House. I've never been, but maybe I'll visit now."

She had come from thousands of miles away, and from a small town in the middle of nowhere, only to have a chance meeting with a member of the fellowship who was willing to help and to step out and invite her to church. I think I mentioned that this could be God calling her out to the church, and I fully believed it. I just can't wait to reach one of the Arizona conferences one day and see if I get an excited tap on the shoulder!


No comments:

Post a Comment